Skyrange

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Company History

Skyrange Windows began as a small operation in 1970, at a time when steel windows were almost the last choice when quality, workmanship, innovation and practicality were a consideration.

Many steel window manufacturers across Australia had by then already ceased operations. Steel sections and hardware supplies had become either impossible to source in small quantities, or simply too expensive. Plant and tooling also went without repair or replacement as there was no suitable alternative. As a labour intensive product, it was expensive to manufacture but at the same time the quality of the material and hardware was increasingly unsustainable and product demand almost non-existent.

Skyrange began steel window manufacturing with the intention of injecting new life into the declining industry. Throughout the 1970’s however, the steel window market followed only basic product needs made up of mostly simple format commercial windows and the occasional architectural and domestic project.

During that time, Skyrange purchased a number of remnant operations. Tooling, equipment, hardware and steel sections were purchased from; Alfred H. Wall in Melbourne, MTM Industries in Launceston, and W. A. Industries in Perth (Crittall franchise). In the process, important product and manufacturing knowledge was discovered and preserved.

While Skyrange established a product line using the identical profiles that Boral KM also sourced from Belgium, Skyrange soon became experts in ‘one off’ manufacturing, built new tooling and had an appetite for innovation and diversification.

Boral KM was the major supplier of steel windows at the time, with stock, extensive plant and equipment running at only a fraction of its capacity. The further decline in demand for steel windows made it difficult for Boral KM to survive on standard format windows and by the early 1980’s, the Boral KM steel window division was closed due to non-profitability.

The closure of the Boral KM plant threatened to wipe out a significant and historical product line, which had roots back to the 1920’s through various steel window manufacturers, which had in their turn been taken over or shut down. Skyrange however, was able to acquire the historical Boral KM stock and plant and re-established it in West Heidelberg. The plant was primarily re-configured, re-built and repaired for custom built items rather than mass production while still maintaining traditional manufacturing techniques and tooling.

The following years saw the end of the commercial building boom of the 1980’s. The steel door and window products, more prevalent in the 1920’s and 1930’s, began to re-emerge for the architectural building industry. A broader and better quality range of products became available, without the reliance on standard sizes and shortcuts in manufacturing previously adopted by other manufacturers in an effort to survive.

As Skyrange introduced Autocad design and shop drawings in 1990, the complicated nature of our products ramped up as architects pushed to seek new boundaries. Pivots, bi-fold, sliding and three-dimensional challenges were sought and achieved.

New profiles and components have been introduced while still maintaining traditional manufacturing methods and hardware items discontinued many years ago, have been reproduced.

In 2000, Skyrange moved to its current address in Quinn Street, Preston. These premises were purpose designed and built for steel window and door production to achieve maximum manufacturing efficiency.

Skyrange has an established history in the steel window and door industry in Australia and continues to stay at the forefront of new innovation and diversity.